Protect your property
In 2021, 41 vehicles were reported stolen in Durango. Nearly 100% of these thefts could have been prevented by the property owner. Durango Police track down most stolen vehicles, but this cannot undo damage and the sense of loss associated with having your property stolen. Theft can affect a person’s sense of security and cause secondary loss in the form of higher insurance costs or reduction in coverage.
- Park in safe, well-lit areas.
- If you must keep valuables in your vehicle, hide them from view.
- Lock your car and close the windows. Keep all vehicle keys with you or secure in your home.
- Secure firearms so they cannot be stolen or accessed by unauthorized persons.
- Do not leave your vehicle running unattended. It is risky and may be illegal.
- Report suspicious activity quickly by calling 9-1-1 for emergencies or (970) 385-2900 for non-emergencies.