Records & Information
City records are available and keyword searchable in the City's Online Records Database (and we are willing to help you with your search if you have any difficulties; send an email to the Records Administrator). Types of records that are accessible to you online include:
- Minutes of more than 10,200 meetings of City Council and City boards and commissions (1881-current)
- Ordinances (over 2,400 of them, from 1881-current)
- Resolutions of City Council (over 2,400 of them, from 1944-current)
- Budgets and financial reports of the City.
- Agendas of more than 7,000 meetings of City Council and City boards and commissions (1958-current)
- More than 4,000 news articles, newsletters and press releases about the City of Durango (1963-current; this is the best way to search for Durango Herald articles about the City)
- Many thousands of digitized historical records back to 1881, including thousands of photographs, and memorabilia, histories and audio recordings--plus 1,450 folders of records of historic building inventories.
- Plans, reports, and studies that were produced for the City (1956-current)
If you would like to view City records within the Durango City Clerk's Office:
- Submit a Public Records Request online.
- Or, print and complete pages 7 and 8 of the pdf version of the Records Request . You may mail or bring it to the City Clerk's Office located in City Hall at 949 East 2nd Avenue, Durango, CO 81301. Please call (970) 375-5010 to verify the City's receipt of your faxed or mailed Records Request.
Fees are charged for obtaining copies of documents. For the schedule of fees, please see the Public Records Request form or the Public Records Policy or contact the City Clerk's Office at (970) 375-5010.
The City of Durango first adopted the City's Public Records Policy in June of 2013, approved an update effective July 1, 2014, and most recently (on 12/1/2020) approved a further revision effective January 1, 2021.
The City has also adopted the Colorado Municipal Records Retention Schedule. The current (as of March 22, 2021) schedule is available as a single searchable 163-page PDF document here (the index is at the end of it).
Planning and Community Development Records Request
If you have a development-related question and/or are looking for a Building Permit, please contact the Planner of the Day first, via email or by phoning 970-375-4850.
Police Records Request
If you would like to obtain a Durango Police Department record, you must use that department's form.