Utility Service Bill Charges
Understanding My Statement’s Water Charges
- The monthly City Utility Service Bill statement has two different water charges. These are the Water Base and the Water Consumption (volumetric flow) charges.
- The Water Base charge is assessed on the size of the account’s water meter.
- The Water Consumption charge is for water consumed by the customer during the Billing Service Period. Monthly consumption is obtained by reading the water meter’s Current Meter Reading and billing the increase from the Prior Meter Reading.
- Water meters are generally read between the 1st and 5th of each month. Billing Service Periods may therefore run from between the 1st and 5th through the 1st and 5th of the next month.
- Water Consumption is billed in thousands of gallons. 1 equals 1,000 gallons and a 12 would equal 12,000 gallons.
- The city has different Water Consumption rates for residential and commercial customers.
- The city may have different Water Base and Water Consumption rates for accounts within city limits and outside city limits (county accounts).
- Currently there is no rate difference between winter and summer consumption. Previously the winter rate schedule applied to water used during the months of September through April (the billing cycle of October through May) and the summer rate schedule applied to water used during the months of May through August (the billing cycle of June through September).
- When declared by the City Manager and confirmed by City Council, an emergency drought surcharge may be imposed in addition to the rates in effect at the time of the declaration.
- Current Water Rates
Understanding My Statement’s Sewer Charges
- The monthly City Utility Service Bill statement has two different sewer charges. These are the Sewer Base and the Sewer Consumption (volumetric flow) charges.
- The Sewer Base charge is assessed on the size of the account’s water meter.
- The Sewer Consumption charge is based on water consumed by the customer as the sewer lines do not have meters.
- Residential Sewer Consumption:
- Is a set charge that recalculates yearly on the 5/20 statement (service period of April) and remains the same until the next year’s 5/20 statement.
- The yearly recalculation is based on a winter average of water consumption during January, February, and March each year (reflected on the 2/20,3/20 and 4/20 statements since you are billed on the 20th for the previous month’s service).
- Since the Billing Service Period’s meter readings occur between the 1st and 5th of each month the winter average will use readings ranging from January 1st to April 5th.
- Residential accounts that have not established a winter average will be billed the year’s average winter average of all residential accounts until the next calculation period.
- Commercial Sewer Consumption is charged a monthly volumetric flow charge based on the one-to-one consumption of water used during the Billing Service Period.
- Sewer Consumption is billed in thousands of gallons. 1 equals 1,000 gallons and a 12 would equal 12,000 gallons.
- The city Sewer Consumption per thousand-gallon rates for residential and commercial customers is currently the same.
- The city may have different Sewer Base and Sewer Consumption rates for accounts within city limits and outside city limits (county accounts).
- The City's sewer rates are designed to provide for a stable revenue stream from base charges, and to collect revenue required for increased treatment through flow charges in an effort to create equity among our users. Heavy users that place a larger demand on the water and sewer infrastructure and treatment plants are charged more than light users that create a smaller demand. Simply put, users pay for what they consume and send downstream to the Santa Rita Water Reclamation
- Current Sewer Rates
Understanding My Statement's Trash, Recycling, and Sustainability Charges
- The City of Durango provides all residential trash and recycling (single stream) services to accounts within city limits. These services are required for all residential properties within city limits. Residential trash and recycle service is not provided for properties outside city limits (county priorities). Learn more about residential trash and recycling collection and fees.
- The City of Durango offers optional trash and/or recycling services to commercial properties located within city limits. The city offers discounted commercial recycling rates to businesses that also contract for the city's trash collection services. Commercial trash and recycle service is not provided outside city limits (county priorities). Learn more about commercial rates or call (970) 357-5004.
- The Sustainability Programs is a flat charge to all account types. Learn more about the City's Sustainability Programs.
Understanding My Statement's Spring and Fall Cleanup Charge
- Residential customers within the city limits are provided Spring and Fall Cleanup services. Learn more about Spring and Fall Cleanup.