- Police Jobs
- Career Opportunities
Current Department Details
- Employs 57 sworn officers
- Pay range for a starting patrol officer is $50,480 and tops out at $65,972
- Officers work 11.5-hour shifts with a three day weekend then a four day weekend
- Assignment pay
- Paid court time
Assignments within the department can be: patrol, field training officer (FTO), traffic unit, school resource, Co-Responder (CORE) team, and the detective bureau.
Special assignments are: bike patrol, foot patrol, motor units, canine, Citizens' Police Academy, Critical Response Unit, Co-Responder Team, and DUI enforcement.
Uniforms & Equipment
The department furnishes and pays for:
- Dry cleaning of the uniforms
- A level III bulletproof protective vest
- Baton and baton holder
- Uniform and equipment stipend
- Handcuffs and handcuff case(s)
- Individual radio with charger
- Conducted energy device
- Other miscellaneous equipment / items
Officers are required to purchase handgun and three magazines (approved by range master), double magazine pouch (basket weave), the outer Sam Brown duty belt (basket weave) and the inner belt, shoes, and undergarments.
A well-trained and knowledgeable peace officer helps reduce liability and better serves the community. Training, therefore, is one of the highest priorities of the Durango Police Department. Approximately 8,000 hours of training is offered by the department.
Lateral Entry Program
The Durango Police Department offers lateral entry for law enforcement officers who are Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified in the State of Colorado, or certified in other states and whose criteria meet Colorado P.O.S.T. standards. A lateral entry officer with 1-3 years of experience may be eligible to receive a bonus of $3,000. A lateral entry officer with 3 or more years of experience may be eligible to receive a bonus of $6,000.
- Lateral experience is defined as full-time law enforcement experience while employed by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency. Time spent working in a jail facility or as a reserve officer does not qualify, but is still highly regarded in the testing process.
- If not initially Colorado P.O.S.T. certified, an out-of-state applicant must become certified within six months of employment. To assist with obtaining certification, the Durango Police Department will pay the officer's salary while attending the Colorado P.O.S.T testing day to receive their Certification. The Durango Police Department will also pay for the first round of testing. See the Colorado P.O.S.T website for how to apply for a Provisional Certification, or contact our recruiting team and we can help walk you through the process.
- Lateral candidates will not be considered if they have any unresolved internal affairs issues or substandard performance evaluations.
- Lateral candidates must submit a detailed resumé with their application.
The examination process remains the same for all police officer applicants and includes an oral board interview. These interviews focus on the advanced skills expected of an experienced police officer. Lateral entry officers may be allowed to accelerate through the field training program upon demonstrating competency and/or as approved by the FTO coordinator on a case-by-case basis.
City of Durango Benefits
- Great Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401A and 457 retirement plans
- Fire and Police Pension Program
- Paid Time Off beginning with 23 Days (184 Hours). You accrue additional days with every year of employment.
- Paid Holidays: 11 days of extra pay for holidays worked.
- Volunteer Program: 16 hours per year to support local non-profit organizations during work hours.
- Emergency Leave
- Long Term Disability/Short Term Disability
- Basic Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account: Provides a tax advantage for health care and dependent care expenses.
- Employee Assistance Program: Confidential assistance in dealing with stressful personal, financial, or work-related situations.
- Wellness Program: Free pass to our Recreation Center with discounted rates for family members.
- Transit Pass: Free pass for transit system and discounts for family members
- Tuition Reimbursement: tuition reimbursement for job-related classes.